Our fast-paced world throws a lot of issues at parents today, so many that it can be hard to know where to start. Our advice is simple: Do not focus your efforts and worry on your majors, rather, focus on what God considers to be major. At the top of his list is the Ten Commandments:
- You shall have no other gods before Me
- You shall not make for yourself an idol
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
- Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land…
- You shall not murder
- You shall not commit adultery
- You shall not steal
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
- You shall not covet anything of your neighbor’s.
In addition, there are 6 things that God lists in Proverbs that he genuinely hates, and we need to be mindful of these as well.
There are six things which the Lord hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
- Haughty Eyes,
- A lying tongue,
- And hands that shed innocent blood,
- A heart that devises wicked plans,
- Feet that run rapidly to evil,
- A false witness who utters lies,
- And one who spreads strife among brothers.
- Never attempt to teach (or preach) when things have just gone wrong and tensions are high.
- Be pre-emptive rather than reactive.
- Use family meetings, or one-on-one times out having fun to pass on important lessons.